Books & Resources:
Recommended Books on Camping:
The Best in Tent Camping Series (Menasha Ridge Press)
- The Best in Tent Camping: New York State 2/e, by Catharine, Aaron & Timothy Starmer, ISBN-13: 978-0897327169
- The Best in Tent Camping: New England 4/e, by Lafe Low, ISBN-13: 978-0897329644
- The Best in Tent Camping: Pennsylvania 1/e, by Matt Willen, ISBN-13: 978-0897326131
We love this series because it rates the best campground and gives you ratings of the best sites in those campgrounds. You really get a sense of what you are in for. There are over 30 books in the series covering three dozen states!
Recommended Books on Hiking:
Best Hikes With Children Series: (Mountaineers Books)
- Best Hikes with Children: in the Catskills & Hudson Valley 2/e, by Cynthia & Thomas Lewis, ASIN: 0898867835
- Best Hikes with Children: in New Jersey 2/e, by Arlene & Joel Zatz, ISBN-13: 978-0898868203
- Best Hikes with Children: in Connecticut, Massqachusetts & Rhode Island 3/e, by Cynthia & Thomas Lewis, ISBN-13: 978-0898868722
- Best Hikes with Children: in Vermont, New Hampshire & Maine 3/e, by Cynthia & Thomas Lewis, ISBN-13: 978-0898866445
Well-written series (there are many other states covered, too) that describes hikes with realistic expectations for kids. Our family has done many of the easy and moderate hikes and enjoyed them thoroughly.
Explorer's Guides: (Countryman Press)
New York-New Jersey Trail Conference:
Recommended Books for Kids:
The Outdoor Kids Series (Northwood Press):
Gibbs-Smith Jr Series:
- Cooking on a Stick: Campfire Recipes for Kids, by Linda White & Fran Lee, ISBN-13: 978-0879057275
- Sleeping in a Sack: Camping Activities for Kids, by Linda White & Fran Lee, ISBN-13: 978-0879058302
- Trekking on a Trail: Hiking Adventures for Kids, by Linda White & Fran Lee, ISBN-13: 978-0879059415
- Wishing on a Star: Constellation stories & Stargazing Activities for Kids, by Fran Lee, ISBN-13: 978-1586850296
Fun books with lots of activities.
Recommended General Interest Books:
- Our favorite place to shop! Worth the trip to Jersey! Everything camping: decent prices, sale items and house brands.
- L. L. Bean
- A bit expensive, but most items have a lifetime guarantee (though sadly, not tent zippers). Worth a stop if you are in Maine.
- Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS)
- Not cheap, but good quality stuff. Most of our Lexan plates and cups are from here as is much of our cookware.
- REI (Recreational Equipment, Inc.)
- Seattle based, it's relatively new to the area but similar to EMS.
- Makers of tents and camping gear. We love our Tetragon 10 tent!
- Makers of just about everything camping! I have been using a propane lang for camping for almost 50 years! Our stove is over twenty years old and still works great!